Monday, April 12, 2010

Plan B

Tonight was a little rough. I didn't know that Mike's softball schedule had changed, so I was thinking that there was a double header (7 pm and 8 pm). Last week we'd talked about me taking the boys to the first game and then Mike riding home with Caleb after the 2nd game. At 6 pm tonight I called the boys in from the backyard and started getting them cleaned up. We were talking about how excited we were go to watch Daddy play softball. I even put a baseball outfit on Barrett and was showing the boys pictures of Brody wearing the same outfit when Mike asked what I was doing. I wondered why he wasn't dressed yet since it was time to leave. He said that the games had been changed to 8pm & 9 pm...way too late for the boys (especially since we have to drive 1/2 hour to the ball diamond).

I didn't know what to do! Here I'd been talking up the game for the past 20 minutes (not to mention all the times I'd reminded them during the day that if they were good we'd get to go to Daddy's softball game)! Brody was crying. I was crying. Barrett looked totally confused. Finally Mike pulled me into the bedroom and suggested that I take the boys to the park and to get ice cream. When he told Brody the plan...Brody's tears quickly dried. I hurried them to the car (before they could remember why I was distracting them) and drove to the park.

It was a beautiful night and we had so much fun playing together! The boys wanted their picture taken together, but Brody wanted it to be of them hugging...Barrett wasn't really in the hugging mood.

He was more in the mood for sliding! I think he went down this slide for 45 minutes straight! I tried to get their picture at the bottom of the slide, but Brody was too focused on 3 teenage girls who had a karaoke machine and were singing (really off tune) with the speaker blaring. Kinda strange.



While Barrett was sliding (again), Brody practiced writing his A, B, C's. He was so focused that he wouldn't look at me to let me take his picture.

Mike had told Brody that I'd take them to Sonic for a shake after the park, so I was surprised when we got in the car and Brody said, "Mommy? What's the name of that place with the ice cream cone on the sign that sells shakes?" I asked him if he was talking about Braum's and he said, "Yes! Can we go there instead? Their ice cream is WAY better than Sonic!" I tend to agree, so I was happy to oblige. I know that my Aunt Cindy will be proud ;)

Daddy Steve called as I was putting Brody to bed and offered to tell Brody his bedtime story. Brody was soooooo happy! During part of the story Daddy Steve's phone lost service and Brody came running out of his room with a worried look on his face. "Daddy Steve's not calling back!" Suddenly the phone rang and as he ran back to his room I heard him say, "Were you still telling the story while I couldn't hear you? Did I miss anything? Will you start the whole story over again?" After a while I finally told Brody it was time to go to sleep. I think he and Daddy Steve could talk to each other all night long!

Even though we didn't get to go see PR Black play tonight...Plan B turned out to be a lot of fun!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like you still had a good time, but sorry the boys didn't get to see Daddy play ball. I agree, Braums is the best! I miss it so much! It's probably been 5 years or better since I had Braums...

Ann Hastings said...

Sonic has great ice cream- but I agree, Braums is better! I am glad y'all had such a fun night together, even if it wasn't what you'd originally planned!

Morgon and Lauren said...

I knew Ann would comment on this one! As much as we all LOVE Sonic, I agree that Braum's has a better quality ice cream. Gotta love Plan B!

Paula said...

I vote for Braum's too. Cappucino Chunky Chocolate is the BEST! On the other hand, the banana cream pie milk shake at Sonic is responsible for at least an inch or two on my hips. Had to swear off of that stuff.

Steve and Joan said...

I had to start the story over three times but enjoyed every minute of it!

Daddy Steve

Rebecca said...

I'm so glad that plan B worked! I figured that with how much those boys love to be with their daddy, nothing would have consoled them!