Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Sick Day

Do you remember those? I faintly remember them. It was back when I was working for the rec commission. There were a few times where I was too sick to go to work. Instead of going to work, I would stay in bed and sleep for hours. Then I'd get up and make me some hot tea, take some meds, and lay on the couch watching a movie. Even though I felt like run over dog poo, sick days were restful and re energizing.

Once you become a mom, you no longer have the privilege of taking a sick day. This doesn't mean that you don't get sick...it just means that there is no sleeping in or laying on the couch all day. I have a nasty cold and last night was up until 1 am with Barrett. He also has the cold and I think the children's cough & cold that I gave him made him wide awake rather than help him fall asleep. I finally just laid him in his bed, left the room, and let him cry for a little while. He went to sleep and I crashed into our bed too.

This morning I didn't even hear Mike get up to go to work. Instead, I was awoken by a very excited 3 years old who was climbing into my bed to tell me, "Daddy finished the gate last night!!!" (Mike had to build a fence around our pool pump to satisfy our home study requirements.) I thought I might could get a few extra minutes of sleep if I turned on Word World for Brody, but then I heard "Mama! Mama! Bubba! Bubba!" over the monitor. Barrett was awake too. What in the world?!? If I was used to getting 12+ hrs of sleep each night and last night I didn't go to bed until 1 am...I don't think I'd be getting up just after 7 am!

So....I dragged myself out of bed, stumbled to the kitchen to take some meds, then headed back to Barrett's room to sing "Good morning to you" and welcome my little boy to a new day.

As I was getting the boys their breakfast, Brody asked me if I felt like I was going to cry or throw up. (Guess he could see that I don't feel good.) I told him, "No, but my head is killing me right now!" He looked at me with a big smile on his face and said, "Mommy, I love you! You're my favorite mommy in the entire world!"

Who wouldn't give up all their sick days to hear that from their little boy?! I know I will!

4 comments:

Kyle & Susie Rhodes said...

Oh man, I hope y'all get to feeling better soon! That isn't any fun at all. I can totally relate....moms get absolutely no sleeping in....and you feel "lucky" if you get to sleep until 7-7:30am on a good day. You are right...just when you feel annoyed for not getting sleep, your baby will do something sweet like smile or laugh when you go to wake them up in the morning, and then the lack of sleep is totally worth it!

Ann Hastings said...

I hate to hear you're not feeling well and that Barrett isn't either! We'll be praying for y'all to get better quickly!
The sweet things Brody says just melt my heart!
Love you!

Jennifer said...

Ahh yes...sick days. And even when my sweet husband *tries* to give me a sick "couple hours" it never works...I always get interrupted for questions (from him!) or a little one that just wants MOMMY! :) Wouldn't trade it for the world (but maybe for just one sick day! haha)

Leave It To Davis said...

Brody was so thankful you weren't going to throw up, I bet! Take some Tylenol cold formula for severe congestion......you have to get the one you have to sign for that is behind the counter in the pharmacy, but if you do, you won't even know you are sick until time to take more med. Really! I used to take it when I worked in the school cafeteria and no one even knew I had a cold! (enjoyed our little talk at 1am last night!) love you all!