Wednesday, February 03, 2010

"I couldn't find my paper!"

On Tuesday I picked Brody up from preschool and immediately noticed his pants.

That's right. He had used a red marker to draw on the upper thighs of his jeans. Not to mention he colored on one of the only pair of pants he owns without holes in the knees (I've got to learn to patch jeans!) When I asked him, "Why in the would would you color on your jeans?!?" He responded very matter-of-factly with, "I couldn't find my paper!"

I may have only been a mom for 3 1/2 years now...but even I'm not buying that excuse! I couldn't get a hold of Mike on the phone, so I called my parents. I asked what my punishment would've been if I had colored on my jeans with markers when I was 3 years old. They suggested that we have Brody do some jobs for us to earn enough money to pay for a new pair of pants (I decided that consignment store prices provided enough jobs for him).

Here's the chart I made so that Brody can see how many jobs he has to do. (Yes, it's supposed to look like a pair of jeans. What can I say? I'm definitely not an artist!) Last night he helped me empty and reload the dishwasher and he also picked up his room and Barrett's room by himself (usually I help so that it gets done in a more timely fashion). Two jobs down...fourteen more to go.

The odd/good thing is that 3 years olds are so eager to help that he's loving this punishment. I have to keep reminding him that instead of getting a toy with all the money he's earning...he'll get to buy a pair of pants. It sobers him...for a split second.

6 comments:

The Goforths said...

I LOVE this! A great visual for him to remember.

Wendi said...

Yes... I LOVE this, too!! I would TOTALLY do something like that. It reminds me of how I would have my kids serve for their consequences at school (except without real money). Good lessons for them to learn!

Who would have thought on Sunday night that this would be your next post? haha! :)

Paula said...

I'm impressed with your artistic abilities! ...and your parent's creativity. Actually, I think your Mom should write a book on the subject. Amazingly, her best thinking seems to come at the spur of the moment.

Jennifer Johnson said...

this is awesome! and i love the visual aid .... i wonder if it would work on Beth???!

Same concept with the older kids and allowances: keep them from blowing their money by giving them a daily visual reminder of what they are saving their money for ...

Your family has some smart women!

Unknown said...

Well, it was very creative if he couldn't find his paper - LOL.

That was cute him being so eager to help until you keep telling him he is working for a pair of pants. LOL

Leave It To Davis said...

Don't let Brady read this post......he'll be looking for the magic markers (he would love to get some new jeans!). (by the way, McKenna wrote on her clothes with magic markers, but accidentally, and Ginger found that Oxyclean gets magic markers out......gets everything out, so far....even dried paint out of the carpet!)