Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Midnight Snack

Brody is my early riser. It's not unusual for him to get up by 6:30 am (or earlier) whereas Barrett is rarely up before 8 am. Like me, Brody knows that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. The first thing he does when he wakes up is head to the kitchen to get something to eat. We've actually had to tell him that he needs to wait for us to get up on the weekends so that we can have breakfast together (pancakes, biscuits & gravy, etc). His current breakfast favorite is a pop tart.

Yesterday morning I got up to go to the gym at 5 am and noticed that the pantry light was on. I looked around and saw a pop tart wrapper on the floor by the trash can. I checked on Brody and his lights were off and he was sleeping.

He actually slept in yesterday (until 7:30 am) and when he got up he was carrying a pop tart back to the kitchen. When I asked him if he got up early to get a pop tart he responded, "Yes. I got really hungry during the middle of the night and so I got a pop tart." He'd only take 2 bites out of the pop tart during the night, so he polished off the rest of it for breakfast.

I was kinda surprised that he walked through the dark house in the middle of the night to get a snack. I got on to him when he told me that he used the kitchen scissors to cut open the package (in the dark!) I told him he could've cut off one of his fingers! He responded, "No I couldn't. I put my fingers in the handles to cut and I held the package at the bottom with my other hand while I cut the top off." At least he was thinking about safety while he was "sleep eating".

Safety issues aside, I do have to admit that it was kinda nice that he got up and took care of his need while we kept right on sleeping!

6 comments:

Steve and Joan said...

I can just imagine you waking up at 3 a.m. smelling bacon and eggs cooking, glancing over at Mike still in bed and shooting out of bed to find Brody on a stool cooking his own breakfast.

;-)

Mom said...

How are you supposed to get a picture if he does it without waking you up?

Ann Hastings said...

Too funny!

Leave It To Davis said...

Does he know how to unlock the door? He will probably be one of these kids you hear about that took the car for a drive when he can't even see over the steering wheel......he was hungry....he was going to Taco Bueno. :)

Ginger said...

Must be nice to sleep while your kid feeds himself! These days that sounds so wonderful seeing as how I have to get up every time little Jayma is hungry. :)

Unknown said...

Ginger, that was funny!!! Brody sounds like you might become a Chef. Bless your little heart, you had to get up and fix yourself something. LOL.