Monday, November 10, 2008

I Passed!!

Last night I passed a test that I have been dreading ever since I became a mom. It's the "how do you handle your child throwing up" test. Brody was the king of baby spit up (I had to do laundry every other day because he SOAKED at least 12 burp diapers a day), but baby spit up is different. I had yet to have a child regurgitate chunks of food on our carpet (and all over me) until last night. My fear has always been that I would end up joining in with them. I remember a girl throwing up in our 1st grade class. I closed my eyes, pinched my nose with my pinkies, and held my ears shut with my thumbs. That's been my method of dealing with other people throwing up ever since then!

Last night Brody woke up from his nap complaining of his tummy hurting. Since we've been running around crazy lately (pics of our trip to Temple to come) we decided to stay home from Bible study and just rest. Brody kept begging us to go out and eat at a Chinese food restaurant (does this seem strange for a 2 year old? I think we've only gone to one a few times with him...and when he was younger), but Barrett was napping and we wanted to stay home. So...we opted for the traditional Sunday night Taco Bueno. Brody was so excited to go with me to get the food.

It wasn't until a few hours after dinner that he started complaining about his tummy again. Mike and I were back in his room playing with him when he asked me to kiss his tummy because it hurt. I asked if he needed to go potty and he said no. Mike left the room to change Barrett's diaper and all the sudden I saw it in Brody's face. Once in his bedroom, once in the hall on the way to the bathroom, and twice in the toilet! Then he turns to me and says, "I'm done! Can you take my jeans off?" I stripped both of us down (yes, I was hit) and put him in the tub while Mike got out the carpet cleaner and cleaned up the mess. After his bath Brody told us that he was hungry. We let him have a few crackers (and he snuck a few grapes without us realizing it). All of the sudden he told me he was shaking. We hurried and got a big bowl...just in time.

He was such a trooper. He never cried or even acted scared about it! I was glad to know that I'll be able to handle it when my kids get sick and I think Mike glad to see that too. I'm hoping that it was just something that he ate that made him sick. As happy as I am to have passed the test...I have no desire to be the sick patient!

8 comments:

Karen said...

I wondered what test you had taken recently! I have passed this test with flying colors many times by now. Michael seems to be the king of throwing up!!

Anna said...

I am wondering when I will have this test...I have always been ok when others have thrown up...so I am hoping it will be ok...but I am not looking forward to it! I can wait!

Ann Hastings said...

Great job :) Poor Brody!

Jennifer said...

That's one test I'm not happy to say I've passed more than once! Aaron passed it with a D-. Long story, but let's just say Anna knows (and says) Daddy doesn't handle sick kids. HA! I hope Brody is better for good and no one else gets it.

Amy said...

So funny about your 1st grade story. Sorry Brody got sick, but it sounds like you guys handled it like pros!

Amy said...

I sure hope Brody gets to come to school tomorrow - and I hope he feels 100% better.
Ms. Amy
p.s. - that is a test that i hate to take - even to this day (and believe me - I am a pro!)

Anonymous said...

Gross! It also goes to show you Taco Bueno has a way of making things come out that should stay in! I guess these are things that I should be looking forward to in the next few months! Thanks Staci!

Rebecca said...

Ew! That's all...just EW!