Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Tears

Daddy Ken died this morning.

Dad, Mom, Brody and I headed to Temple as soon as we got the news. I'm at Grandmommy's house right now (Brody's taking a nap) and everyone else is at the funeral home.

Before his nap Brody kept looking for Daddy Ken. He'd point to the chair that Daddy Ken usually sits in and say, "Daddy Ken at?" I didn't really know what to tell him. He finally came up to me and said, "Daddy Ken at work?" (I guess he thinks that's where everyone goes when they're not at home.) I just started crying. He doesn't understand that he'll never see him again. It's hard for me to believe I won't get to sit and talk with him again, or hug him and kiss him, or that he won't get to hold our new little boy. I really didn't expect this. I know that he hadn't been doing so well...but he was such a strong man! Several times doctors had told him he was going to die and he'd prove them wrong. I just expected him to prove them wrong again. I guess I didn't let myself imagine the possibility that he wouldn't recover.

He may not get to hold our new little boy, but I can take comfort in the fact that he is in Heaven right now loving on Baby K for me. I know that he is now without the pain of cancer that was eating away at his body...and free from the pain of his broken hip. I'm so happy that he is now in the presence of our savior, Jesus Christ, yet at the same time it's hard not to be selfish. I miss him here on earth!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry Staci. What a sad time for your family. Our prayers are with you all.

BUT--what is this "Baby K" business? Is this a clue to the real name for son #2?

Amy said...

I'm so sorry for your Family. Daddy Ken is in a perfect place now. Our time on this Earth is so short. You all are in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry for you and your family's loss of Daddy Ken - my heart aches for you and I will continue my prayers for all of you. Love you.

suzspeaks said...

Oh Staci, I'm so sorry. I'm praying for comfort for you all!

Unknown said...

Staci, I am so sorry to read this! You and your entire family will be in my prayers. While I never had the chance to meet Daddy Ken, I know he was an amazing, Godly man. I wish I was there to give you a big old hug. I love you!

Laura said...

I am so sorry to hear about Daddy Ken. My thoughts are with you and your family.

Leave It To Davis said...

I know that he and Baby K will have fun.....just think.....Baby K will have to show Daddy Ken around Heaven....what a wonderful way to spend time with your grandchild that you didn't get to meet. What a beautiful thought, Staci....I love you.

RaeAnn said...

We're so sorry for your loss. I'm glad that I got to meet Daddy Ken when we went to San Antonio. He seemed like a wonderful man. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Holli's Kansas Adventures said...

Oh Staci! I am very sorry to hear of your loss. I know that is so tough. As cancer is such a nasty disease, you know he is much better off. It is wonderful that you have such wonderful memories and pictures of him with Brody though. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Unknown said...

I am so sorry, Staci! I have been praying for your family. Even though he is happier and pain-free, it is so hard being the one left behind to miss him.

Kyle & Susie Rhodes said...

Hey Staci,
I just found out about Daddy Ken when I talked with Amanda last night...we are thinking & praying for y'all at this time. But what a comfort to know that he is rejoicing in heaven as I type this on your blog! Here is a hug for all of you!

Teri said...

Man it's been so long since I've checked, I had no idea!!! I'm so sorry for you loss. We're never ready when loved ones die, there's just no way to be really ready. I'm glad he is with Jesus now.

Sapphire, Dana, Karalee & Alastair said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. I cried reading your post. Hold the joyous memories close and keep them in your heart. My prayers are with you guys. Hugs