Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Big Boy Pants

Yep. Training is underway. Brody has started asking to go to the potty more lately, so I decided to just go for it and put him in big boy pants. I'm sure some of you remember that we tried this before, but he wasn't ready yet. At the time he would go on the potty...but he wouldn't tell us he needed to go until AFTER he went in his pants! So far...this time is totally different!

Last week he had a few accidents in his undies and I took it pretty slow. I'd put the undies on him in the mornings and then put a diaper on him for his nap. Then he'd end up in a diaper the rest of the day (probably just because I was tired and didn't want to worry with it!) This week has been awesome so far! He's been asking for his "big boy pants", so that helps keep me motivated. Both yesterday and today he went all day long without wetting his pants! He even stayed dry during a 40 minute roomtime (all by himself in his room) and during nap time!

Today I was brave (or crazy) and took him to the bank with me in his undies (and clothes...of course). This wasn't a quick trip thru the drive thru. We had to go inside and finish setting up our new bank account...so it took a while. I started getting nervous when we were in the banker's office and Brody wanted to drink my water. Before long I notice him doing the potty dance. I quickly excused ourselves and rushed him to the bathroom. I was so proud as he did the potty dance waiting for me to help him get his pants down...and then he went in the potty! Yay! Of course he flushes and says, "Good job, Brody! Proud of you!" So cute!

Yesterday on our walk at the park he learned the joy of peeing in the woods (one of the many times it's nice to be the mom of a boy)! Dad informed me tonight that I can also check the library bathroom off the list. He said that Brody started to use the urinal...then peeked under stall and told Daddy Steve that he wanted to go in there instead. lol!

I've heard that potty training can sometimes be 1 step forward and 2 steps back...but right now I'm just thankful for that 1 step forward! Now if he could just figure out the poopin' on the potty... Any tips?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go Brody! My son threw a big hissy fit when I put him in training pants. He wanted "American shorts". We just couldn't figure out what he meant. We asked him to show us what he meant. He wanted regular underwear with the opening in the front. It was a snap after that. Good luck to you all on it!
Marcia in KS

Unknown said...

Way to go, Brody! That is awesome! Do you need/want some undies? Some of the ones I bought L are too tight on him...he's barely worn them (We have tons and tons of bigger ones, between Connor, Justin, and a friend who passed some on) I promise they aren't gross! Let me know if you want them-I know B is a skinny minny with a tiny bootie!

The pooping...just be patient. :) It took Logan probably 2 weeks before he would do it. And I also "encouraged" him with a new toy that sat on the back of the potty for about a week. And even then, it was awhile before he did it consistently. Every kid is so different! C was so easy to train, L took a little longer and was a lot older. It was definitely 1 step forwards, 2 steps back with him! Good luck!

And ps-assuming I get my dr's okay to travel, we are coming up to A town June 19-22. We'll have to get together!

Anonymous said...

RE: the poopinp--bribes! What does Brody want more than anything? That's what worked for us.

Leave It To Davis said...

I will bet it won't take much encouragment from you to get him to poop in the potty......remember, he doesn't like it in his pants or his playpen, so he probably will just be so disgusted with it there, you can convince him that it is much cleaner and smells better by putting it in the potty in the first place! He is so cute!!!

Christy and Justin Vercher said...

Great News! When Gabriel went poopy in the potty, we had a huge party for him. He was able to watch his favorite cartoon and we had a little chocolate ice cream. He was so proud of himself!

Steve and Joan said...

It had to be "chocolate" ice cream?

Steve

suzspeaks said...

Way to go Brody!!!

Amy said...

YAY Brody!