Saturday, May 24, 2008

Made it!

We made it safely to Kansas on Friday night. It was a tense ride from Wichita on. There were MAJOR storms in the area. On the radio we were listening to a storm chaser who was tracking a tornado and a thunderstorm with tennis ball sized hail! We were about 15 minutes ahead of the storm as it was traveling north east. Brody woke up when it started raining really hard (around midnight). He was excited about all the rain and kept telling us that his window was wet (on the outside)! Caleb, Audria, and I were all very tense during this part of our drive. It was raining so hard that Caleb couldn't see the road 5 feet in front of us! Audria could see the white line out her window, so she was holding the steering wheel and keeping us on the road while Caleb was controlling the pedals. We were VERY happy to drive into the shop at our house where Mike told us that the tornado and hail were going to stay south of us. Whew!

I waited until we were 10 minutes from our house to tell Brody where we were going. I asked him if he wanted to go see Daddy. His eyes got so wide (especially for 12:30 am) and he said, "DADDY?!?!? Daddy's house?!?!?" He was elated to see Mike when he opened the door to get Brody out. Needless to say, his excitement made it hard to get him to go back to sleep. I don't think we got him to bed until 1:30 am!

We were all really tired. It had been a loooong drive after a full day of work. We were sitting upstairs in the entertainment room talking when I decided to go downstairs and get Brody's jammies. As I was headed down my feet slipped on the stairs and flew out from under me. I fell backwards and slid down several stairs before stopping. I could hear the sound of feet scurrying across the entertainment room above me and within seconds Mike was beside me. Thankfully I fell backwards (not forwards onto my belly)...so I just came away with a bruised tailbone, sore neck and back, and a few rug burns on my elbows. I was also given orders from Mike to never do that again...and to hold onto the handrail while going down the stairs!

This morning Audria and I are going to pack up some boxes while Mike and Caleb finish up a few of the little things that are left on Mike's to-do list. I'm sure Brody will follow them around since their jobs will involve tools and outside while Audria and I will just be using packing tape ;)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I bet Brody could have fun with packing tape too. Seeing his precious little face get excited about a hammer the other night was amazing.

Glad you are OK after the fall. How scary is that?

Holli's Kansas Adventures said...

YOU need to be careful! I am glad you are back in Kansas but I would just as soon not come pick you up in my "work truck". :-)

Steve and Joan said...

Always, always, always hold on to the hand rail!!!

Dad

Leave It To Davis said...

Makes me think of Amy Grant's song, "Angels watching over me, every step I take......" They surely were watching over you.....and I am so thankful that they were! We love you!
got it in my head now..."God only knows the times my life were threatened just today.....a wreckless car ran out of gas before it came my way....near misses all around me...accidents unknown......though I never see with human eyes the hands that lead me home.......Angels watching over me every step I take.....Angels watching over me." Now you can have it in your head playing over and over, too!

Unknown said...

I'm so glad that you made it safely and that you didn't hurt yourself (too badly) or that sweet baby!