Monday, January 15, 2007

The Heart

It was cold and icy...but we made it to the conference on Friday night and Saturday. It was such a good conference! We felt sooooo blessed to learn what we did while we're still at the beginning of our parenting years.

Dr. Tedd Tripp, author of Shepherding a Child's Heart, was the speaker. He didn't focus on "quick fix" parenting techniques. Rather he taught us that we need to shepherd our child's heart rather than just his behaviors. It's hard work and takes lots of time....but isn't it worth it? What is our goal as parents? Is it to raise children that are obedient and well-mannered or to raise children that have a desire to glorify Christ in all they do? Mike and I both left feeling like we have a lot to work on in our own spiritual life before we can be examples to Brody.

Honestly...there's so much we learned that my mind is swimming trying to think of how to write it on here and I know that it would be impossible. Feel free to email me if you want to talk about it further.

_________________________________________
Yesterday Brody turned FIVE months old! Can you believe it? It's gone by sooooo fast! I can't believe that it was 5 months ago that we were at the hospital seeing him for the first time. He has brought so much joy to our lives. Even in those moments where he's crying and we don't know why....we are still thankful that God has blessed us with him. Not a day goes by where I don't look at him and praise God. I find it hard to fathom that anyone could have a child and still believe that God doesn't exist! They are truly miracles!

We took some cute pictures yesterday...but of course they're on the home computer. I'll post some if I have time when I get home today.

6 comments:

Ledbetter Fam said...

I'm glad that the conference was such a blessing to you both. I think it is always important to pray for each other as we parent our children and bring them to know and serve the Lord. I also like to pray for our marriages. Just know that you are included in those prayers of mine. I love you.
JB

RaeAnn said...

I'm glad you were able to make it to the conference. I'd like to hear more about it sometime if you have a chance. I'm gonna miss you at the conference this week. I always enjoyed getting to visit with you about things other than work.

suzspeaks said...

I couldn't agree with JB more. Every day is a new adventure, but also presents new challenges. If we are all praying for each other...it makes the day a little easier!

I'm glad you had a good weekend!

Rebecca said...

It sounds like it was a great conference. I hope to find something like that in DFW when it's my turn!

Shauna said...

I am glad that you guys enjoyed the conference. That encourages me to find one around here! I could use a little parenting encouragement!

Anonymous said...

I am so encouraged by your post! I think I will go look for that book-I am always on the lookout for good parenting books. I am glad you two were able to go-Brody is lucky to have you as parents. Love you!