Friday, April 21, 2006

Country Sky

The other night Mike and I were sitting on the couch watching TV and talking. Suddenly something caught my eye out the window. At first I thought it was the headlights of some car coming down the dirt road. Then I realized it wasn't on the dirt road...it was up in the sky. Mike followed my gaze out the window and we both saw a HUGE ball of light! It was a meteor. We watched it as it slammed into the earth's atmosphere and disintegrated. It was one of the biggest meteors I've ever seen! What's so cool is that we noticed it thru the window with all the house lights on! Then I realize that the stars are so bright in the country that I can see them without turning off our lights.



Every morning as I leave for work I look up to the heavens and admire the beautiful stars (remember I'm leaving around 4:30 am so it's still VERY dark). Growing up Dad taught us to be fascinated with God's creation. He especially enjoys the heavens (stars, sunsets, sunrises, clouds, etc). This is one of the reasons that I love living in the country. There are not any city lights that saturate the night sky. Instead, I can look up and see the trillions and trillions of stars in the sky. Every morning the stars remind me of our Creator. I stand in awe of the fact that he knows every one of those stars by name and has placed them in the sky in their designated places! It reminds me again and again of the awesome power of our Lord and Savior!

3 comments:

Shauna said...

Do you remember Sooner night skies? I have such wonderful memories of that sky - I almost cry just thinking about it.

Anonymous said...

Awesome! I remember seeing a shuttle re-enter the atmosphere while Dad and I out on the roof! It was unbelievable! I can't image how cool that meteor looked!

Anonymous said...

You have to watch out for meteors in Kansas, especially if you see any green rocks!