Tuesday, July 24, 2012

"That's NOT Leonys Martin!"

Today was another scheduled public appearance by a Texas Rangers player.  Since it was at the Whataburger close to us, I stopped by after the gym to see if they were giving out the wristbands yet.  They weren't giving them out yet....but at 6:30 am there were already 8 people sitting in their lounge chairs in line (one of them had a 2 year old with them!)  Leonys Martin wasn't scheduled to come until 10:30....so I'm not sure why they got there so early!  I stopped by early thinking that if they were already giving out wristbands I could get some for us and then not come back until 10:30! lol

When the boys woke up they wanted to hurry and get to Whataburger so that we didn't miss getting a wristband (like we almost did last time when we got numbers 222-224 out of 225!)  We stopped by Wal-Mart first (to get a new baseball for him to sign) and arrived at Whataburger around 8:30.  When they passed out the wristbands, we were numbers 41-43. 

Brody and Barrett waited so patiently as we sat outside in the sun.  They played a few games on my phone, but that got old fast.  So we played many, many rounds of "would you rather".  Not only did it keep the boys entertained, it also entertained everyone sitting around us!  At one point the employees from Whataburger brought around kids cups of ice cream.  The boys loved that!!


When "would you rather" got old, I told Brody we could play War.  He informed me that we couldn't play War if we didn't have a deck of cards....and then I made up some rules for playing Imaginary War. We would say, "1, 2, 3...." and then whatever card we had in mind.  Before long people around me were saying, "Wow!  I didn't know you could have so many ace's in one hand!"...so I had to enforce the "only 1 ace can be played per minute" rule. 
Leonys Martin arrived on time (10:30) and the line begin moving quickly.  Within 10-15 minutes we were inside Whataburger.  Brody and Barrett were so excited to hand over their baseballs to be signed!  Then....Barrett looked up at Martin and said (in a loud 4 year old voice), "Momma!  That's not Leonys Martin!"  The room suddenly went silent.  I said, "What do you mean?"  He replied, "He does NOT look like Leonys Martin!"  "Well he IS Leonys Martin!" I said.  "Well he doesn't LOOK like Leonys Martin!" said Barrett. By this point everyone around us (including Martin) was laughing at the little boy who was disputing the identity of the "celebrity" signing autographs!  I finally convinced Barrett that this is what Leonys Martin looks like in person...and that maybe he looks different on tv because he has a hat and baseball pants on.  This finally satisfied him.
 
After getting their baseballs autographed, we bought some lunch to eat.  The boys were estatic that the booth directly behind Martin was open!  Brody wanted me to take a picture of him with Martin in the background (he even told me exactly which angle to take the picture from!)
 
I spent most of my time saying, "Boys!  Sit down!  Stop breathing down Martin's neck!!" I also didn't want them dropping pieces of chicken strips on Martin and his translator! lol
 
Almost as exciting as meeting Martin was seeing Captain!  Captain's helper ordered him a drink as they were about to leave and the boys were dying to see how he was going to drink it through the horse head....so they were disappointed that the drink was to go.  lol
 

1 comment:

sweetlizzy said...

That's hilarious!!! :D super fun story, and I'm sure that Barrett made Leonys Martin's day with his comment. Your boys are so precious and extremely photogenic!!!
Looks like y'all are having a fun summer :D