Thursday, November 10, 2011

He always makes me smile!

Yesterday we drove down to Grandmommy's house so that we could leave this morning to go visit Uncle Guy and Aunt Charlotte.  Uncle Guy is actually my great-uncle (he's one of Daddy Ken's brothers) and I really love that man!  I don't get to see him very often, but every time I see him I think, "I've got to make time to see him more!"  Like Daddy Ken, he is full of good stories and words of wisdom.  He has such a positive outlook on life and is such a joy to be around that his name makes me smile!  Aunt Charlotte said she was going to make lunch (rather than us going out to eat) and we couldn't wait to see what she'd made.  Her reputation as an amazing cook is legendary!

We had a little bit of a setback this morning when we woke up.  Barrett was sick.  It was the dreaded stomach bug.  This was NOT a good thing.  Mike wasn't with us and his is the parent that can handle throw up.  I'm the parent that joins whoever is sick by dry heaving (or throwing up) right along with them!  I was shocked when Namaw offered to stay at Grandmommy's with Barrett while the rest of us when to see Uncle Guy and Aunt Charlotte.  Daddy Steve is the throw up parent...not her!  My first thought was, "Who are you and what have you done with my mom?!?"  But she was insistant that I go and said she'd be fine.  I must admit...it didn't take too much pursuading ;) 

So we headed out by 9:30 am and (true to Daddy Steve form) took the scenic route to Kingsland.  We drove by some pretty countryside as we drove through the Hill Country.  We stopped at one scenic overlook to take a few pictures...

(I know this one is crooked...but it crops too much of us if I straighten it!  Sorry!)
(click on the collage below to see it full screen)
 

You know how I said Aunt Charlotte is artistic?  Well, this is one of the paintings she has done that is on display in their home.  They had a neat table underneath the painting with some model antique cars on it.  It looked so cool!  Click on the picture to see it bigger (and see the details).
 

Now do you understand why Uncle Guy always makes me smile?  I absolutely love this picture!  I took this picture after listening to Uncle Guy talk about Dr. Pepper for 10-15 minutes.  Dr. Pepper is his big indulgence.  He only drinks it out of the bottle (says it tastes better that way) and would prefer to have Dublin Dr. Pepper.  He spent some time telling Brody that Dr. Pepper is good for you and told him all about it's healing properties.  He told Brody, "it's bound to be good for you since it has Doctor in it's name!"  He even showed Brody exactly how they needed to hold their bottles to pose for a picture together.  It just makes me smile!
(click on the collage below to see it full screen)

2 comments:

Leave It To Davis said...

It's a shame Guy and Charlotte didn't have kids. He would have been the best dad ever....next to my own, of course. And Charlotte would have been such a kind loving mom. These pictures make me miss my dad even more.

Ann Hastings said...

What a great visit- we love each and every moment we've spent with them!!!