Friday, March 25, 2011

Barrett's Eye Check-up

Today we went back to Barrett's eye doctor.  They dilated his eyes today (meaning it was a long appointment).  Here are the current stats on his eyes:
  • He is able to see out of the weaker eye, however, he can't see as well and prefers using his right eye (the stronger eye) to see.
  • The doctor is still seeing some up and down movement in the left eye.  It is still too early to determine if an additional surgery will be needed...we'll just keep watching it.
  • I told the doctor that we've noticed Barrett squinting with his left (weak) eye.  The doctor said that's normal and it's because his brain is having to adjust to the way light hits his eye in it's new position.
  • The goal is to eventually get him out of glasses, but for now his astigmatism is affecting his vision and he needs to wear glasses for his vision.  His eyes are also still healing from the surgery and the doctor wants him in glasses until they're totally healed.
  • Instead of patching 2-3 hours daily, they gave us some eye drops that will dilate Barrett's strong eye.  We're supposed to put one drop in his right eye Mondays and Thursdays.  It will have the same effect as patching.  The downfall is that it makes his right eye more sensitive to the light (while it's dilated)...not the best thing since he's playing outside all the time right now...he'll just have to keep his sunglasses on! 
After the appointment, I spent the rest of the day trying to get Barrett's eye drop prescription filled and get him new glasses ordered.  The doctor gave him a new lens prescription and I thought I could use the "one free lens replacement" where we bought his glasses to get the new lenses.  I thought wrong.  When I got there I found out that the lens replacement was only for the same prescription.  Really?  They're having to order the lens and tell the people the prescription...what does it matter if it's different or not?!?  So I went to the eye doctor that Mike uses only to find out that they're not on our new insurance plan!  I finally gave in and went to Wal-Mart (who is on our insurance plan).  I was surprised to find them very knowledgeable and caring!  It was also WAY cheaper than the other 2 places!  Did you know that lenses are $29 (without insurance) at Wal-Mart!  I was able to get Barrett transition lenses and new frames for $100 less than just lenses at one of the other optical centers. 

Barrett was very upset when he woke up from his nap today.  We had told him that his eyes would be back to normal after his nap.  We were wrong!  When he woke up they were still dilated!  I can only imagine how scary that is for a 2 year old!  I tried to assure him that it was only temporary and that they'd go back to normal soon...but he just kept crying.  Finally he said, "I want Brody!"  I called Brody in from outside and Barrett crawled up in his lap and sat there hugging his brother.  It was so sweet (and Brody was soaking in every second of it!)  I'll post a picture of it when I get it off my phone.  I'll also post a picture of Barrett in his new glasses when they come in.

Oh...the other great thing about the guarantee at Wal-Mart....you have 60 days to take them back in and switch out the frame or the lenses!  Our next appt is in 2 months, so if the doctor changes his prescription again...it won't cost us anything to get the lenses changed to the new prescription!  Gotta love that!

3 comments:

Jessica said...

Aw, Barrett. Wish things weren't coming along so slowly for him, but at least things *are* coming along! He can be one cool lil cat in his shades until all this drops business is done. And yay Walmart! Sounds like that's the place to go for kiddo glasses!

Steve and Joan said...

Keep getting better Barrett!

Leave It To Davis said...

I've purchased all of our glasses and contacts at WalMart for years now. They are cheap and they have always gotten the prescription right. I wouldn't go anywhere else!