Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Smell the Roses

On Monday I had to take Barrett to the doctor to get a shot. Brody went with us so that I could go straight to work afterwards. It was 100 degrees outside when we arrived and the sun was beating down on us. I was hurrying to get both boys out of the car so we could get inside before we melted into pools of sweat. I finally get them both out of their carseats and we're making the trek inside. Brody is holding my hand while he talks to me about Barrett being born (since we were by a hospital that's what he was thinking about I guess). We're finally 20 feet from the door when Brody stops dead in his tracks. I pull on his hand and finally look back to see what he's doing. He's leaning over smelling of the flowers along the path. My first thought was to say, "Brody! Let's go! It's HOT out here!" But before I could say that he looked up and me with the sweetest grin and said, "Those flowers smell REALLY good!" I couldn't help but smile back at him. Then we walked from flower bush to flower bush smelling of each one...all the way to the building. I love how he gets joy out of the simplest things in life. I probably wouldn't have even noticed that there were flowers along the path if Brody hadn't been with me to make me stop and notice my surroundings.

Today I had another one of those moments. One of those times where you praise God for something so ordinary. It rained. We were sitting at the breakfast table and it was pouring down rain outside. Something inside of me wanted to get Brody and go run outside to play in the rain. Before I could act on that impulse, we heard thunder...so that idea was thrown out. Instead we talked about who made the rain and how thankful we are that God sent us rain!

Right now I'm sitting up waiting to feed Barrett before I can go to bed. These first few months are hard. In the first months a baby eats, sleeps, and cries. Barrett's been a little gassy lately and I feel that every time he's awake he's crying. Although I'm very tired tonight, I don't want to wish this night to rush by. Instead, I want to enjoy this quiet alone time with my baby boy and stop and smell the roses.

9 comments:

Kelly | Fabulous K said...

what a sweet post--and an amazing little boy you have. it's been so cool getting to see brody grow on your blog...what an awesome treasure for you to have :)

Anonymous said...

Staci, you are an amazing writer! Thanks for sharing your "moments" in such an interesting way.

Laura said...

Great post! You have two sweet baby boys!

Steve and Joan said...

We sure learn a lot from our children!

Jamie said...

Beautifully put Staci, and amazing how a two year old can teach us the simpliest life lessons. Have you tried Mylecon drops for the gas. I used them constantly with Preston and they were a life saver.

Anonymous said...

You see why Jesus said we should become like little children when you are around them. What a blessing they are! Our children help our spiritual walk as much as we help theirs. That continues even when they are grown! I know that from being around my wonderful children.

Jessica said...

What a sweet post. Really touched me.

Karen said...

Our children make us look at things from a whole new perspective. I try to stop rushing all the time to "smell the roses" too!

Christy and Justin Vercher said...

Enjoying the moments in our life. You definitely put things into perspective.