Tuesday, September 03, 2013

AHC - A Valentine's Day Surprise


February 14, 2013

Today is the day Kristin showed the profiles to the birth mom.  I talked with Ann and Julie Little about what is going on….but we didn’t said anything to the rest of our family.  We didn’t want them to have to ride the roller coaster that we are on.  We didn’t expect to hear anything from Kristin today (per the conversation yesterday) and so we’ve been focused on all the fun Valentine’s Day stuff the kids have going on at school.  I picked Barrett up from school and then he was watching a video while I was talking on the phone to Julie.  While I was talking to Julie, someone else tried to call.  I looked down and saw on my phone that it was Kristin calling me.  I hurriedly told Julie I’d call her back and then switched over. 

“Hi Staci!  It’s Kristin.”
“Hi!  How are you?” I said.
“Good.  Is Mike there with you?” Kristin asked.
“Ummm…no?!  He’s at work.” (It was 3:00 pm…he didn’t take off work to wait for a phone call that we thought wouldn’t happen until Monday…and that in the past has always been an “I’m sorry” call.)
“Well….are you sitting down?  I have good news for you!”
“WHAT?!?” I replied….and the tears immediately started falling as I walked into Barrett’s room and closed the door so he wouldn’t see me.

“Yes!  The birth mom looked at y’alls profile book and didn’t even want to look at any others.  She said y’all were the perfect family for her baby …and that you’re boys looked like they need a little sister!”

HOLY COW!  Can we just pause life here for a second?  Did she really just tell me that I have a daughter?!?  Oh.  My.  Goodness!  I didn’t even know what to say!  Then…my watch alarm went off and I had to ask if I could call Kristin back after I picked up Brody from school (see…life wouldn’t pause for a moment even if I wanted it to! Lol)  I tried calling Mike before I left to go get Brody, but he was in a meeting (which is his day all day every day…it’s hard to get ahold of him at work).  As I rode my bike up to the elementary school (pulling Barrett in the bike trailer) I could feel the tears of joy streaming down my face from under my sunglasses.  My heart felt like it was going to bust and my adrenaline was soaring!  I wanted to shout the news to the WORLD….yet I had to talk to Mike first!  It took everything within me not to tell the other moms waiting to pick up their kids…or to tell Brody “You have a sister!” 

After I picked up Brody I called Kristin back and found out a few more details including that we would get to go to the hospital and meet the baby girl tonight.  Kristin just needed to know when we could get there.  I texted Mike and told him to call me ASAP.  When he called I said, “Have you made any plans for Valentine’s Day tonight?”  He responded in a very exhausted sounding voice, “No honey.  I’m sorry.  I’m swamped at work and haven’t even had a chance to think about it.”  I said, “Well….what about meeting me at the hospital.”  “What’s wrong?  Why am I meeting you at the hospital?” he said with a little more enthusiasm in his voice.  “So we can meet our daughter!” (that word sounds so strange! Lol) I replied. 

Then I waited.

And waited.

And waited.
 
**If you're just now joining us in our adoption journey...make sure you use the links on the right side of the blog to start at the beginning of our story...Answering His Call**

No comments: