Wednesday, September 04, 2013

AHC - Silent Ride


“Are you there?” I asked. 

“You’re gonna have to give me a few minutes to absorb this.” He responded and then ended the call.

Now from the time I hung up the phone with Julie until now had been over 2 hours.  At this point she was starting text me and say, “What did Kristin say?!?!?”  I hadn’t wanted to call her back until I talked to Mike….so now I finally felt like I could call her.  I don’t know what I expected, but Mike’s reaction wasn’t exactly what I thought it would be.  I’m so thankful Julie talked me down and told me that I just shocked him!  An hour ago he was only focused on work…and now I’m not telling him we’re gonna have a baby…I’m telling him we DO have a baby and she’s at the hospital and we need to go see her.  She told me to give him some time to absorb it and not to jump to conclusions about his reaction.  She also said that she knew either I had either gotten really good or really bad news earlier when I didn’t call her back and that she had spent the last few hours on the floor crying and praying for me.  Wow.  How am I blessed to have a friend that loves me so much?!
 
Mike decided to come by the house and pick me up to go to the hospital, so I called Daddy Steve and Namaw to see if they had V-day dinner plans.  Since they didn’t, they said they’d watch the boys for a bit while I went to see “some surprise Mike had for me.”  (I’d consider a new baby quite the Valentine’s Day surprise!)

The ride to the hospital was silent.  I say “silent” in the literal sense.  We didn’t’ say a word to each other the entire drive!  We were both in shock and lost in our thoughts.  I could also tell that Mike was still trying to take in the situation and that he needed the quiet to think and pray. 

When we met Kristin in the lobby and she said, “How are y’all doing?” I heard Mike speak for the first time.  He said, “I’m overwhelmed and in total shock!  It hasn’t sunk in yet!”  I had little butterflies in my stomach as we rode the elevator up to the NICU.  What if I looked at her and didn’t think she was cute?  Can I love an ugly baby?  We don’t really know a whole lot about the birth family yet.  What if there’s some big bombshell Kristin’s waiting to drop on us until after we meet the baby. 

**If you're just now joining us in our adoption journey...make sure you use the links on the right side of the blog to start at the beginning of our story...Answering His Call**

No comments: