Friday, August 31, 2012

Change takes time

Today was another rough morning.  Brody woke up with a "tummy ache" this morning and said he didn't want to go to school.  {We made sure NOT to tell him that Mike was off work and that Mike and Barrett were going to Cabela's with Caleb and Axton later!} We talked about how fun school is and then I rode bikes (pulling Barrett in the bike trailer) with Brody and Trey up to the school.  Brody didn't say much until we got into the cafeteria.  It was a minute or so before the bell rang so the kids were waiting to be released to their classrooms. 

I told Brody that I thought he should walk to his class with his friends today (there were only a few moms in the cafeteria with the kids...most of the kids were now going to class by themselves) and he looked up at me with red rimmed eyes and tears ready to spill over.  He reminded me that I'm allowed to walk him to class one more day and then he threw his arms around my legs and started bawling.  He cried all the way to his class..."I don't wanna go!  I don't like school!!!" 

When we got to the kindergarten hall, Mrs. Giese had to pull Brody away from me (just like yesterday).  She started talking to him about all the fun things they are going to do today and then pulled him towards the classroom.  As much as I wanted to just pick him up and leave....I didn't.  Instead I walked down the hall (Barrett on my hip) and walked out the door. 

I know it'll get easier...and I know that Brody will come to LOVE school....but the current reality is a hard one!  When Brody got home from school yesterday he crawled up in my lap and hugged on me for almost a half hour.  He said, "I can't wait for this holiday weekend.  I get to spend 3 days all day every day with you!"

4 comments:

Amy Godknecht said...

Bless his heart! I know this transition is so hard for them and us. Even with previous preschool experience, 5 whole days is a lot! Praying each day gets a little easier!

Ann Hastings said...

Praying for sweet Brody and this new "normal" for him- love you!

Leave It To Davis said...

There's always home schooling....and we all know you'd be a great teacher. I wish I had tried home schooling my two boys. I never knew that other kids were being so cruel to them....until they graduated from high school and began spilling their guts about how horrible school had been for both of them. I know we can't protect our kids forever from the world, but maybe, just maybe we expect them to grow up too fast.

Liz was home schooled, along with all her brothers and sisters, and they are all happy....and smart.

The Goforths said...

I do not know Mrs. "Leave it to Davis" but I was thinking the same thing! I could go on and on about our homeschooling journey. Suffice it to say that my husband suggested it, I told him "I'm a nurse, not a teacher," God changed my heart and here we are in our 4th year of homeschooling and I LOVE IT!!! And you would be an AWESOME teacher!