Thursday, May 03, 2012

Sacrificial Love

Over the past 12 1/2 years, Mike has made many sacrifices for our family.  Since we have moved back to Texas there are many times that I have felt guilty.  Moving to Texas was a very selfless act on the part of my husband.  It required moving to the big city (he's definitely a country boy through and through), HOT weather (he loves the cold so much I think he'd be happy on the North Pole!), drastically decreased hunting expeditions (he used to be able to walk out our front door and hunt.  this past year he didn't shoot a single animal...the first time since he began hunting as a young boy), and hardly any days spent golfing (in KS he was on the Country Club board and even helped out with some HS golf meets).  Mike gave up so much of himself to move here.  Oh there are many things that we've gained....closeness with family, playing softball together, watching our boys play ball, making many great new friends, good jobs, awesome church, me being able to spend more time at home with the kids....but it still hurts when I think of the part of himself that he is sacrificing for this life that we have built. 

I think that will help you understand why I was brought to tears the other day.  Mike had been telling me there's a new song on country radio that makes him think about me.  He wouldn't tell me what it said because he wanted me to hear the song.  Tuesday morning he called on his way to work and held his phone up to the radio.  This is the song that was playing......




A Woman Like You - Lee Brice
Last night, outta the blue
Driftin' off to the evening news
You said "Honey, what would you do
If you'd never met me"
I just laughed, said "I don't know,
But I could take a couple guesses though"
And then tried to dig real deep,
Said, "Darling honestly...


I'd do a lot more offshore fishin'
I'd probably eat more drive-thru chicken
Take a few strokes off my golf game
If I'd have never known your name
I'd still be driving that old green 'Nova
I probably never would have heard of yoga
Be a better football fan
But if I was a single man
Alone and out there on the loose
Well I'd be looking for a woman like you."


I could tell that got her attention
So I said, "Oh yeah, I forgot to mention,
I wouldn't trade a single day
For a hundred years the other way."
She just smiled and rolled her eyes,
Cause she's heard all of my lines

I said, "C'mon on girl, seriously
If I hadn't been so lucky


I'd be shootin' pool in my bachelor pad
Playing bass in my cover band
Restocking up cold Bud Light
For poker every Tuesday night, yeah
I'd have a dirtbike in the shed
And not one throw pillow on the bed
I'd keep my cash in a coffee can
But if I was a single man
Alone and out there on the loose
Well I'd be looking for a woman like you."


She knows what a mess I'd be if I didn't have her here
But to be sure, I whispered in her ear
"You know I get sick deep-sea fishin'
And you make the best fried chicken
I got a hopeless golf game
I love the sound of your name
I might miss that old green 'Nova
But I love watchin' you do yoga
I'd take a gold band on my hand
Over being a single man
Cause honestly I don't know what I'd do
If I'd never met a woman like you."

5 comments:

MerrittTimes said...

That is a pretty great guy you have there.

Ann Hastings said...

:)

Mom said...

I am so glad Mike realizes what a wonderful woman he has!

Leave It To Davis said...

You love to make me cry and ruin my makeup, don't you? Never heard that song before, but I LOVE it and I love that Mike feels that way about you.

Dave used to call me up when he was at work and put the phone up to the radio...."I Just Called To Say I Love You" by Stevie Wonder was the first time he did it, and I will never forget it. Another was Barry White singing "My First, My Last, My Everything".

Dave gave up a lot for us, too, and keeps giving up and giving up....it's wonderful to have someone who loves you.

Staci said...

Caleb - Thanks ;) Got it fixed :)