Thursday, July 02, 2009

Not so quick...

Turns out it wasn't an ear infection!

This morning Barrett's temperature was 105.2! I put him in a cool bath and gave him more Tylenol. Then I called the dr's office (the office of our normal pediatrician). I told them that Care Now had diagnosed Barrett with an ear infection and that I was concerned that his temps were still so high. They gave me a 2:15 pm appointment.

The first thing the dr said when she looked in his ears was, "His ears are perfectly clear!" What?!? She said that sometimes the ears look red when you have a high fever and that his did...but there wasn't fluid in there and he didn't have an ear infection. This caused her some concern because that meant we didn't know the cause of the fever. She ended up sending him to get his blood drawn and asked for a urine sample.

Both of those are tall orders for a 12 month old! To get a urine sample you have to attach a bag around their privates and wait! They stuck the bag to him at the dr's office and by the time we got to the lab he'd peed...but the bag had come off a little and most of it when into his diaper. Arg! So they attached another bag and it wasn't until almost 8 pm that we finally got another sample. The blood work wasn't for the faint of heart. If you don't like needles...don't ever take your baby to get blood drawn. Thankfully, they don't bother me. We're not talking about a finger prick here...they went for the vein in his arm! I had to hold him while two nurses tried to put a needle in a vein so small I could barely see it! That's probably why they couldn't get it in the first arm and messed up (telling me in the process that he'll have a good bruise on that arm). Thankfully they got it on the first try on the 2nd arm. (I'll go ahead and say it for my Temple family..."Bless his sweet little heart!")

The dr called around 9 pm with the results. His white count is pretty high, but it was pretty evenly split between viral and bacterial infection. She said the fact that he's been on amoxy since Tues could've decreased the bacteria if it's a bacterial infection. We're supposed to watch him really close for the next few days. Right now we can get his fever down with meds, but if it gets to the point where it's not getting under 101 for 6 hrs straight (or if he doesn't have a wet diaper for 6 hrs) we're supposed to take him to the ER. She said there's also a chance he could wake up in the morning and feel just fine...and that'd be the end of it!

Please pray that he will heal quickly and that the fevers he's been having won't damage his body. I hate seeing my little boy is so much agony!

4 comments:

Mom said...

Update - Barrett slept all night. He woke up with no fever! He drank his bottle and had a wet diaper. Looks like he is getting well.

Amy said...

Oh, poor Barrett. That is great news that he slept all night and woke up with no fever though!

Anonymous said...

Poor baby. The blood draw must have been traumatic for little Barrett. It is for me every time!! I am so thankful that he woke up this morning with no fever and had a wet diaper. Bless his little heart. He has had more than his share of sickness.
Love,
Gmommy

Teri said...

thanks mom, I needed an update! I"ve been a bad blogger. Barrett, hang in there sweetie.