Friday, July 13, 2007

Obsession

Brody is always very happy to see me in the morning when I get him out of his crib at work. He doesn't usually say much until after he nurses (kinda like how I didn't talk to anyone until after I ate my cereal when I was a teenager). As soon as he finishes nursing he starts talking. His first word is the same every morning. "Ball" I can't even begin to count how many times Brody says "ball" in a single day.

The other day I was pondering the fact that my son is obsessed with balls. I thought, "Why is 'ball' the first word out of his mouth every morning? Why not 'mama' or 'drink' or any other word that he's learned?" As I was pondering this I looked around my office and suddenly realized how MANY balls there are! Remember...I work at a recreation commission...so it's not really abnormal to have balls in my office.

I thought a picture tour of our building would do this story justice and give you an idea of why Brody has such a love for balls. Please keep in mind that summer is CRAZY busy at our office. Don't pay attention to the messy desks or cluttered areas. We haven't had time to straighten up lately!

This basket of basketballs is in the same front office that his crib is in. This is a random assortment of baseballs & softballs shoved into a corner by the file cabinet. Oh...there's also a small football in the bottom right corner of this picture.
Here are some trophy baseballs on top of one of our bookshelves.
On top of the other bookshelf rest 3 basketballs (these are the good balls that we don't let the kids check out).
Don't you have a baseball by the power strip in your office?
The green bucket is full of tennis balls left over from tennis camp (in early June) that we haven't had time to take back to the storage room yet.
Softballs for this weekend's State Babe Ruth Softball tournaments.
Even the decorative stone in the office (a present RaeAnn and I got for Junior a few years ago) has a ball carved into it!
Our office isn't the only room in the building that contains balls. This is the conference room (also used to store aerobics equipment).
Aerobics room

Balls in the weight room
Storage room
Used baseballs and softballs in the storage room (the boxes above, below, and beside the cabinet are full of new baseballs/softballs).
I can't leave out the child care room! There are MANY balls in this room. Toni (one of the babysitters) told me that Brody collected 14 balls while I was teaching aerobics on Wednesday.
I didn't have time to walk upstairs...but there are also balls in the gymnasium upstairs. The only room in our building that doesn't contain balls is the bathroom, however, whenever I have to go to the bathroom I put Brody in the stroller and give him a toy to play with while I go to the bathroom. Lately he's been taking a golf ball...so I guess whenever Brody's in the bathroom there is a ball in that room too!

How many balls do you have in your office?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Collin would be in heaven! Ball is one of the few words that he has said. He loves balls - I think it's a boy thing!

Anonymous said...

I looked around. There are no balls in my office - oops - there is one. The softball signed by the Good Morning American cast.

Ledbetter Fam said...

Wade always loved balls too. Lafe really hasn't shown as much of an interest in them. When Wade was about 18 months old we were going over to some friends house for dinner. When we got there she said "I had to run to Wal-Mart today to buy some balls because I knew that Wade was coming over." She didn't have any kids at the time. I thought that was funny that his reputation preceded him.

JB

Anonymous said...

It is no wonder Brody is obsessed with "Balls." He probably even dreams about balls. Of course, he has gotten his picture taken with a football every month. No wonder that is the first word out of his mouth each morning when he wakes up - a ball (or many balls) is the first thing he sees. You must have hundreds of balls in that gym.

Tyler and Ann said...

I have a football in my office at work and I have 3 footballs and a volleyball in my office at home. One of the footballs signed by Troy Aikman (Thanks Ann).

Shauna said...

I was also going to comment that it doesnt help his obsession that you have been putting a football in his hands since he was first born!!!!

RaeAnn said...

Wow! We do have a lot of balls! Many of them have entertained Cheyenne for several minutes, even hours! Hopefully Brody and Cheyenne continue to like balls and become good at using them for what they are intended for!

Anonymous said...

Boys who like to play with balls (and can't run after them) are good exercise for moms. :-)