Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Is this why people don't like dentists?

I have always loved going to the dentist.  It's almost like a place of encouragement for me.  I have never had a cavity in my life, therefore, I have no reason to dislike the dentist.  When I go, they tell me that my teeth look great and to keep doing whatever it is that I'm doing (I brush twice a day.  Sometimes I'll floss the week before going to the dentist so that my gums don't bleed when they floss and they can't tell that I haven't been flossing! lol)  I took the boys for the first time about 18 months ago.  We didn't have them on our dental insurance at the time, so it was a $250 office visit to hear "their teeth look great!"  I keep meaning to take them back, but I put it off because I didn't want to spend that much money just to hear everything looked good!
In October, Mike added the boys to our dental insurance, so I decided I better get them in every 6 months now that we're paying the insurance premium on them!  Caleb had some issues with the work our prior dentist did on his teeth, so I decided to try out a new dentist.  Barrett and I went last Thursday and we both got the "everything looks good" speech.  I made Brody an appointment for today at 11:00.  I told him we'd go to the dentist and then go to lunch (kind of a special treat in the middle of a school day).  Well...it turned out that it wasn't the fun treat I had in mind!
They did all the normal x-rays and then the dentist came in the room and said, "Was your former dentist wanting to just keep an eye on his cavities?"  I kinda laughed....then I realized that the dr wasn't joking!  "What?  He has cavities?!"  The dentist went on to tell me that Brody had 5...FIVE! cavities.  Three of them were getting really close to a nerve and one of them was questionable as to whether he could fill it or have to do a root canal with a cap.  I was in shock!  What in the world?!?  He showed me the pictures of the cavities on his computer screen....but I felt like someone looking at a sonogram of a baby for the first time.  I couldn't decipher what he was talking about.  It wasn't until he had Brody open his mouth and showed me that I understood.  He said his teeth look great from the outside, but it was in between his teeth that the cavities had formed.  I asked why we needed to fill the teeth since they're his baby teeth and he'll end up losing them and he said that these are ones he won't lose until he's 9-11 years old and that they're severe enough that they'll really be hurting him soon. 
Thankfully the dentist had time in his schedule to go ahead and do the work today.  Poor Brody was stuck in the chair for an hour with his mouth propped open while the dentist drilled and filled.  I was so proud of him.  He didn't cry or complain once.  The dentist was also very good (Brody didn't even realize the dentist gave him a shot!)  Even with insurance, this was an expensive dental visit....but boy am I glad Mike added them to our plan!  This couldn't been waaaaaay worse on the pocket book!
(Brody before we found out about his cavities.)
 
I didn't make Brody go back to school after we left the dentist.  His mouth and jaw were so sore!  We stopped by the school and got his bag, went to Sonic for lunch, and then went back to Daddy Steve and Namaw's for me to finish working for a little bit.  He was excited to go with me to pick up Barrett from school.  I think his old teachers were just as happy to see him as he was to see them!  He was especially excited to see Mrs. Danielle, Mrs. Allison, and Ms. Pam.  Once Barrett found out why Brody was with me, he wanted to make sure I told everyone I saw about Brody's teeth! 
I told Brody that Mike and I are taking back over brushing his teeth.  I think I may go get an electric toothbrush to see if that'll help.  The dentist seemed to think that we'd fixed the problems and that next time he'll be good for just a cleaning.  I pray he's right!

3 comments:

Ann Hastings said...

Poor little guy!

Leave It To Davis said...

Brody looks so big in this picture!

Mom said...

I can sympathize with the keeping your mouth open for an hour thing. I can still remember that from having a crown. No fun!