Friday, December 16, 2011

Fried Green Tomatoes

This summer we planted a garden in our backyard.  I think we must have been in a salsa mood.  We planted tomatoes, onions, cilantro, jalapenos, banana peppers, and a few other herbs.  We planted the tomatoes a little late which meant there were green tomatoes and even some blooms on the plants just before the first freeze.  Brody and I picked all the tomatoes the night it was suposed to freeze and put them in paper bags.  Grammy told us that if we'd put them in paper bags they would ripen.  I couldn't believe how many tomatoes were on the vine!  Next year we'll plant them earlier! 

When I took in the bag, Mike started pulling out some of the big tomatoes.  "They're all GREEN!" I told him.  "Just leave them in the bag so they'll ripen."  He said, "Haven't you ever had fried green tomatoes?" I just stared at him and said, "I've seen the movie."  He laughed and proceeded to slice tomatoes, season them, and fry them.  They were so yummy!  I'm thinking I might pick a few green ones next year just so we can have more fried green tomatoes.  For some reason...it makes me want to watch Fried Green Tomatoes.  I haven't seen that movie in years! lol

Today I looked into one of the paper bags to find LOTS of red tomatoes.  It's salsa time!  I'm so glad Grammy told us about using the paper bags!

 

1 comment:

Leave It To Davis said...

wow, those are some beautiful tomatoes!!! I'll bet the salsa will be great!