Friday, December 16, 2011

Dreamy Sugar Cookies

I thought it would be so much fun to make sugar cookies with the boys.  I thought we could use Great Grandma K's nutcracker cookie press and send her beautiful decorated cookies from the boys that would have great meaning to her.  On thing I forgot about in my dream.....our boys are 3 and 5.  Oh....and I'm not so good at free handing icing decorations!

Now don't get me wrong...I can bake!  I bake a mean pie and my cookies are almost a perfect replica of Namaw's famous cookies.  For some reason though, I had lots of trouble baking sugar cookies!  They were either too brown or too thin.  I finally got a perfect thickness to be able to use the cookie press (or so I thought) and then the image rose out of the cookie when I baked it in the oven!  Oh well.  It's the thought that counts, right?!? 
The boys had lots of fun decorating the cookies.  There were waaaay too many sprinkles on the cookies (and on the floor for that matter)...but I think they looked great and we shared lots of laughs along the way.  It may not have been the experience I dreamt of in the beginning...but I think reality is always better than a dream!




3 comments:

Leave It To Davis said...

You made a memory that the boys won't ever forget....and maybe someday when they have kids, they will tell the story of how they made Christmas sugar cookies to send to their Grandma K....and how much fun they had with their mom. And that, for sure, is better than any dream I know of.

Anonymous said...

I think cookie presses need more of a 'spritz' recipe instead of a normal sugar cookie. They look tasty though!

sweetlizzy said...

Yummmmmyyyyy!!! Those look delicous! My parents used to make sugar cookies with us in the winter time, and my mom would make her special icing for them. Cindy is right that will be a great memory for them. :)