Monday, June 27, 2011

Is my baby really THREE?!?

I can't believe how fast time goes by!  Everyone said that we'd turn around and our kids would be grown...they're right!  Three years old may not be grown...but when I feel like he should still be a little baby...I know time is going by too fast!  I try to remind myself every day to soak in the joy of being the mother of the 2 precious boys that God has blessed us with.  I try to memorize their precious little voices when they tell me "I love you!" 10 times before bed and try to close my eyes and take in the sweet hugs and kisses that I receive dozens of times a day.  I also try to record (on here) fun moments that I know will be forgotten if they're not written down. 

Birthdays are always emotional for me.  It's like a little reminder that my boys won't be little boys forever.  Brody must have some of my emotions too.  Today I told Barrett, "I can't believe how fast you're growing up!  Before I know it you'll be calling me to tell me that you're getting married...and then later calling me to tell me to come to the hospital to meet your little baby!"  Brody started to tear up and said, "But the hospital will be really close to your house...and I'll live just down the street from you!"  Barrett chimed in, "Me too!!!"  (he copies everything Brody does these days). 

Holding Laney, Luke, and Axton makes me realize how fast time passes.  It doesn't seem like that long ago that I was getting up every 3 hours to feed Barrett.  I remember sitting there staring into his eyes and wondering what his personality would be like.  I had no idea how amazing he would be!  He is so sweet, funny, and smart!  He is such a joy to be around and I'm so thankful that I'm his mommy!  If the past 3 years have been this fun...I can't even imagine what the next decade + will be like.  I have a feeling that there will be many pages of blog books filled with stories of joy, laughter, and triumph as I journey through life as Barrett's mama.  I love you sweet boy!

Brody really wanted to get his picture taken with the birthday boy.  I love how you can see the true, brotherly love for each other on their faces!

This morning I stopped at the donut shop on my way home from the gym.  Brody, Barrett, and I sang "Happy Birthday" to Barrett (yes...Barrett joined in singing to himself, lol) before the boys had their breakfast.
 
After breakfast we headed to work for a few hours.  Namaw made some chocolate cake for dessert after lunch and so we got to sing "Happy Birthday" again....and again...and again! Barrett kept asking for the candles to be re lit and then he'd ask us to sing again!  It was too cute to refuse!
The boys are napping now because we have big plans for the night.  After dinner we're taking them to see Cars 2.  They have Barrett's new Lightning McQueen and Tow Mater (gifts from Daddy Steve and Namaw) ready to go see the movie with them.  This will be our first time for the 4 of us to go to a movie together (Barrett just went to the movie for the first time last week with his cousins).  It's gonna be an exciting birthday evening! 
Oh...and tonight I get to say "goodnight" to my favorite three year old in the entire world!

3 comments:

Namaw said...

Happy Birthday Barrett! You are so special!

Leave It To Davis said...

Staci, you wrote such a beautiful tribute to motherhood and your precious boys that I am crying. You are so right....tomorrow you will wake up, and they will be graduating from college. Treasure each moment you have with them, because unfortunately, those times will all to quickly be gone forever. I know they know how very much you love them. They truly are blessed little boys.

Leave It To Davis said...

Oh, and HAPPY BIRTHDAY BARRETT FROM ALL OF US DOWN HERE!!!!