Saturday, November 10, 2007

Random Thoughts

You know you're a mom when you willingly get a grass stain on your jeans just to save a diaper coupon from blowing away! (I didn't MEAN to fall down when I was chasing the coupon across the yard...but I did what I had to do to not let the coupon get away!)
___________________
I was talking with an ex-Naval officer the other day. He has been stationed all over the world (Greece, Italy, & France just to name a few). He was originally from Kansas and when he retired, he and his wife wanted to move back to Kansas. They looked for a small town that met their one requirement....it couldn't have a stoplight. They chose Bushton, KS (which didn't have a stop light at the time). He said he's ok with the fact that Bushton now has a stoplight. He said that Friday is his morning to turn the stoplight on. WHAT?!?!? He said, "We take turns turning it on in the mornings and off in the evenings. Friday morning is my morning. It's no big deal! I just go down there and flip the switch!" LOL! In Sterling our stoplight flashes yellow except for the hours of 8 am-6 pm when it runs like a normal stoplight. I'm pretty sure that ours runs on a timer (but I guess I don't know that for fact...I just assume that's how it works). I had no clue that some stoplights DON'T work on a timer and actually require someone to "flip the switch"! That's small town America!
___________________
Mike finished the banister (or handrail) for our stairs today! It looks great! He used his draw knife (to make it look like a log) so it fits perfectly with the decor of the house!
___________________
Brody has been asking to "mow" all day long. I don't think he understands that we don't have to cut the grass anymore! Mike just took him outside to do some other chores. They were chores he could use the lawn tractor for...so Brody was happy!
___________________
All the laundry is done. Mike's work shirts are ironed. The house is cleaned. And...I just finished baking 6 loaves of Amish Friendship Bread! I'm gonna go sit down and rest :)

4 comments:

Laura said...

You have been a busy person today! I guess that means I didn't turn you into an Alabama fan last weekend, or you would have been watching the game!! Very crazy to me about the stoplight!!

RaeAnn said...

The stop light in Bushton isn't a normal stoplight. It is just flashing red for the school crosswalk. Unless there is one I don't know about! Sounds like you've been busy. Hopefully you can rest the rest of the weekend.

Amy said...

That was a fun post to read!

Anonymous said...

I love those days where I get to stay home and catch up on all my chores. (Really!) It just doesn't happen very much anymore... I don't know if it is a function of having 3 kids, where we live, or my inability to say no; but there is always somewhere we have to go. "Stay at home mom" just doesn't apply!