Sunday, November 19, 2006

Road to Recovery

The surgery is over...now we just have the long road of recovery ahead of us!

The surgeon decided to repair the tear in Mike's meniscus rather than cut it out since he would've had to remove so much to get rid of the torn part. If it heals this will be better in the end, however, there is a 30% failure rate. This means that there's a 1 in 3 chance that Mike will have to go back in for a second surgery to have the repaired part removed!

Recovery time will be much longer since they repaired the tear. Mike is in a brace from his ankle to his upper thigh and will have to wear it for 6 weeks. He is in a tremendous amount of pain right now. He can't even get up off the couch and use crutches to get to the bathroom without severe agony. I'm really hoping that the pain subsides soon!

Nancy came over on Friday night and made chicken noodle soup and helped me clean house and care for Mike. I'm sleeping on the living room floor so that I can get Mike anything he needs during the night (he's only sleeping 10 minutes here and 10 minutes there). He's been drinking plenty of fluids and has been able to eat mild foods.

Please pray that the pain will become tolerable soon and that Mike will be stable enough to go visit his grandparents for Thanksgiving! You can also pray that Brody will be a happy baby this week :)

I'll post more when I'm not so tired!

2 comments:

RaeAnn said...

I am praying for all of you! Sounds like you've already had a long weekend. I hope that the pain gets better soon for Mike. Try to get some rest. You will need the energy to take care of your boys. Please let me know if there is anything I can do.

Anonymous said...

We are praying and so sorry that this happened this way!