Tuesday, June 05, 2012

Am I allowed to show the umpire proof of a bad call?

Tuesday was Brody's last game of the spring season.  It was a HOT game.  It was humid, temps were in the 90's, the sun was shining bright, and there was absolutely no breeze.  I looked like I'd been to the gym by the time we walked back to the car after the game....and I was just taking pictures!  Brody looked like he'd jumped in the pool!!
 
 
Grammy came to town to see Brody's last 2 games this week and tonight Daddy Steve, Namaw, Caleb, & Audria were also at the ball park to watch the game.  Axton spent most of his time chasing an extra baseball around.  Even though it was hot, he was all smiles....until I pulled out the camera! lol
 
 
This is the play that frustrated Brody the most.  He was playing first base and the pitcher (Cade) threw him the ball.  He bobbled the ball a bit...
but he had regained control and had never taken his foot off the bag by the time the batter arrived.  The ump thought that he wasn't touching first base when the batter tagged the base.  You can see from the picture below that his shin was laying across the back corner!  I was standing by the dugout when the inning ended and Brody ran up saying, "Did you see that play at first where he called the runner out?  I had him out!!!"  I told him not to worry...that I had proof on the camera.  They don't review plays in MLB....so I don't think the ump would've liked it if I threw a red flag on the field and asked him to come look at the display on my camera ;)  lol   Mike later told Brody, "If you hadn't bobbled the ball the ump would've called it out for sure.  Just catch the ball fast the next time and you'll have an easy out!"
 
This may be the end of organized baseball until the fall season starts..... 
 
 but I can guarantee you that it will still be played daily at our house. Barrett has caught the bug and is now wanting to play catch almost as much as Brody!  And I wonder why these boys eat so much...

2 comments:

Mom said...

Good game Brody!

Leave It To Davis said...

Axton didn't smile because "cool" athletes don't smile in their photos....they have to look menacing to their opponent.

This was a tough lesson for Brody...life isn't always fair and the "right" thing isn't always what happens. It's sad they don't let you prove it when you have a photo. :(