Thursday, September 15, 2011

Mothers are Wise

The boys have a few squishy balls that we allow them to throw in the house.  There are certain rooms (that don't contain breakable objects) that they use to practice fielding the ball.  Namaw thinks we're crazy for letting them throw any ball in the house (hard or squishy)!  While they were on vacation this week, there was an incident at work (aka Daddy Steve and Namaw's house) that gave her more ammunition in the "mother knows best" arena.

On Thursday, I left my office to go downstairs to make lunch for the boys.  I could hear them diving for balls in the game room (aka my office) and assumed they were playing the usual (throw the squishy ball against the wall above the doors and race to catch it).  All of the sudden I heard a CRASH.  My first thought was, "Did Brody really throw that squishy ball hard enough to break a lamp?!?"  I hollered up the stairs, "What was that?" and Brody yelled down at me, "A WINDOW!"

WHAT?!?!?  How in the world does a squishy ball break a window?!?  I ran up the stairs to investigate.  I found this...

It didn't take long for the boys to start laying blame. Come to find out, Brody brought his real baseball (the souvenir one from the Rangers game) to work with us that day.  He and Barrett decided it would be fun to roll grounders to each other with a real baseball rather than the squishy one (which they both know is against the rules inside).  Well...after Barrett fielded a grounder, he decided to throw the ball back to Brody.  The only problem was that he threw it so high Brody couldn't reach it to catch it and CRASH...broken window. 

The boys have since learned to appreciate the worth of a dollar.  A $204 window is almost more money than they can wrap their minds around.  They're learning to understand it's worth...one chore at a time.

Oh...I got in a little trouble too.  Yes, it may be ok to throw squishy balls in our house...but my parents don't really care for it at their home.  Mike reminded me that we want people to obey the rules at our house (even if they don't agree with them)...so we need to obey the rules at other people's homes.  I told Namaw that I was sorry for letting the boys play ball inside and that they would not be allowed to again at their house. 

The boys now understand why Mike and I tell them they can only throw squishy balls in our house!

1 comment:

Leave It To Davis said...

While teaching them this lesson, tell them that SNOWBALLS ALSO break windows. You would think when you throw them against the ground and they turn to powder, they would do the same when they hit a window, but no, that isn't the case. Tell them their great uncle Dave learned this one during a winter snow storm back in the late 70's. That way, they won't have to experience that lesson...they can learn from someone else's mistake.

Jayma likes bringing her plastic golf club and swinging it around my house. I think it is going to go out in the garage. Love you all!! Have a great visit with Grandmommy and Sharon!!!