Tuesday, November 06, 2012

Car ride devo

Most mornings Barrett is not awake for our morning devotional.  Typically it's Mike, Brody, and me at the breakfast table at 6:45 eating our breakfast and spending time in the Word and prayer together.  I usually carry Barrett from his bed to the bike trailer when it's time to take Brody to school.  So...many days I try to relay to Barrett what our morning devo was about.  The other day we were on our way to his preschool while I was telling him what we read about in the Bible that morning.  I told him about how Jesus was in a boat with his disciples and he was asleep.  A storm came up and the wind and waves were so rough that the disciples thought they were going to die!  They woke Jesus who told them they were silly for worrying (using kid terminology here) and then he told the wind and waves to be still....and they were!  We talked about how awesome it is that even the wind and the waves obey Jesus.  Barrett and I talked about how we can make the weather change....so it was a miracle that Jesus was able to just by talking!

When Barrett's in the backseat and I'm talking to him (half distracted, mind you), I'm never sure whether he's actually listening to me....or if he's just looking out the window thinking his own thoughts and tuning me out.  The paper he brought home from school that day let me know that he does listen!  After they finish doing their assigned worksheet, they are allowed to turn the paper over and draw a picture of whatever they want.  I turned Barrett's worksheet over that day when he got home and said, "Tell me about the picture you drew on the back of your paper today?"  He said, "Well...the big guy is Jesus and the little guy is Peter.  On the bottom are the big waves and on the top is the sunny sky after Jesus told the waves to be still!"
 
He was listening!  Yes...this masterpiece has earned a place on our fridge :)

1 comment:

Mom said...

He heard it and even remembered it a few hours later! So happy that you teach them with every opportunity you have.