Monday, February 27, 2012

Dancin' in the Kitchen

Are you a morning person?  I didn't say, "Can you wake up early?"  When I was younger, I thought I was a morning person because I had the ability to wake up early.  However, ask my parents, brothers, or friends from high school and they'd tell you that they found it wise to wait until after I ate breakfast to try to make conversation with me.  It wasn't until I was in college that I truly became a morning person.  You know...the kind of person that enjoys waking up early.  Here's why I love mornings...

This morning my alarm clock went off at 5 am.  I crawled out of bed looking forward to the morning.  The morning has become one of my favorite times of day.  I quietly got dressed and left our house for the gym.  I like to arrive early for class so that I can work on scripture memory while I warm up.  It helps me get my mind focused for the day.  My dad met me at the gym and we enjoyed a really tough spinning class together.  It's so neat to get to spend that time working out with the person who taught me how much fun exercise can be!  We like to push each other to work hard and we have fun doing it. 

Just as I was about to leave class this morning, the next song started and I knew I couldn't leave yet.  For some reason that particular song always makes me visualize what it might be like when Christ returns.  The drama of the music makes my soul swell with excitement and anticipation...thinking about how utterly amazing it will be to see my Savior face to face!  I didn't get to stay 'til the end of class, but I stayed a few minutes later than planned because I was worshiping (you didn't know you could have praise time in aerobics class did you?!? lol)  I always leave class a few minutes early.  Most of the people there know that I leave a few minutes early so I can get home in time for Mike to leave for work.  They probably think that we're like ships passing in the night...me checking in at home while Mike's walking out the door.  That's not how it goes...

I typically get home while Mike's taking his morning shower.  I head to the kitchen and pack him a lunch and then make a hot breakfast for us to enjoy together.  This morning we were sitting at the table drinking our coffee and spending time in the Word when I heard the pitter patter of little feet coming down the hall.  A sleepy looking Barrett walked by (thumb in mouth) hugging his bear and headed straight for the couch where he curled up under a blanket.  Mike closed his Bible and went to cuddle with his precious boy for a few minutes.  Barrett said he woke up a little early because he wanted to make sure he didn't miss seeing Daddy before he left for work!

I got to hold my cuddle bear as Mike made a coffee to go and loaded up his work stuff in the Jeep.  Barrett and I both got kisses from Mike before he climbed into the car.  Barrett had a huge grin on his face (the kind that scrunches up his face and makes his high cheek dimple really deep!) as he waved "I love you" fingers at Mike as he drove away.  Then we stood in the driveway watching him drive around the corner.  Just before he was out of sight, he stuck his hand out the window and waved at us one more time (as has become a morning tradition). 

Barrett and I walked inside and headed to the kitchen to get him something to eat.  When we got there, I heard a song from Third Day playing on my iPhone.  Barrett wrapped his arms around my neck and we danced around the kitchen.  As I spun around the room I could hear his giggles.  Every so often he'd throw his head back and laugh with joy....then he'd lay his head on my shoulder and hug me tight (never letting go of his bear).  When the song ended, we sat down on the couch together and he said he wanted to wait for Brody to get up to eat so they could eat together as brothers.

While I was writing this post, Brody came out of his room.  My growing five year old crawled up in my lap and said, "Has Barrett already had cuddle time with Momma this morning?  Can we go sit on the couch for cuddle time?"  This is the only time during the day that my boys are excited about sitting still and just enjoying being together (without running or throwing a ball!) 

Do you see why I cherish my mornings?  How is it possible not to wake up with joy and anticipation for the day when this is what I get to experience?!?  Yes....I'm a morning person and I'm proud of it!

2 comments:

sweetlizzy said...

That is soooo sweet :) I love that you have that "cuddle time" with your boys. That's awesome! You are very blessed.

Mom said...

I am glad you wrote about your mornings so that you will always remember the little details. What a wonderful life it is!