Wednesday, July 13, 2011

The Cake - Spiderman!

I think one of the problems with digital photography is that you can take so many pictures that it becomes overwhelming!  Yes...Barrett turned 3 on June 27th...and his birthday party was July 2nd...but I'm just now getting around to blogging about it.  I think one of the reasons is the number of pictures I took!  I went through and flagged the ones I thought would be blog worthy...and I still had over 30 pictures!  That's a lot for a blog post! lol  So I put it off again and decided to just blog about the cake for now.  (I'll probably put some collages together for the party post.)

Over 6 months ago Barrett announced that he wanted a Spiderman birthday cake.  I think the only way he even about Spiderman is a direct result of 24 Hr Fitness.  They have two coloring pages for the kids while they're in Kids Club.  One of them is a princess (or girly thing) and the other is Spiderman!  When we go to the grocery store you have to go past the bakery to get to the produce and the boys always comment on the cakes in the bakery.  Barrett started telling people (months ago) that he was going to Kroger to get a Spiderman birthday cake for his birthday.  He actually said that HE wanted to drive himself there and buy it with his own money! Mr. Independent!  I assured him that he would get a Spiderman cake...but that I would make it for him.  (After eating cake with Jan's icing recipe...store bought cake just doesn't do it for our family!  The taste doesn't even compare!)

So the day before his party Grammy (who came into town that Thursday evening) and I started with baking the cake in the new Spiderman cake pan that I bought.  I'm chalking it up to the fact that the pan wasn't seasoned yet...but the first attempt did NOT come out of the pan!  Grammy had greased the pan good before baking...but we still had to dig the cake out with a fork!  Try number 2 worked perfect and the crisis (of no Spiderman cake) was averted.  After we put the boys to bed for the night we got to work icing the cake.  For some reason we don't have any can lights directly over our island in our kitchen...so I found a new use for the lights I'd borrowed from Caleb to take pictures of Luke!

With lights in place we weren't casting shadows on the cake as we leaned over to ice it! 

Oh...I guess we started to ice before they went to bed.  For a little while Barrett sat there and watched us.  In a way it was good that the first cake was a dud because this gave the boys something to snack on...and we didn't have to hear them beg for cake over and over (and us tell them that they couldn't have any until the party)!

The end product!  I think it turned out great!!!  The next morning Barrett was excited to see it and announced, "That's a COOL cake!"  I'm glad it received his approval.
 

2 comments:

Leave It To Davis said...

Wow! What a cake! So many talented people in one family!!!

Jessica said...

GREAT job!