Tuesday, November 08, 2011

Brotherly Love

It is so much fun having two little boys.  It has been such a joy to watch their love for each other and their friendship grow.  Barrett, like most little brothers, wants to do everything his big brother does.  If Brody's having a pop tart for breakfast...Barrett wants one too.  If Brody's taking a picture of Neftali Feliz for the letter F at school...Barrett wants to take a picture of Feliz too.  The examples are endless.  I've been surprised at how little the two of them fight.  I know there will be good years and bad years ahead of us in this area (remember...I have 2 brothers), but I have to contribute a lot of the lack in fighting right now to Brody being such an amazing big brother.  Not only does he ask Barrett to come play with him and Trey (his 2nd grader friend), he also takes care of his little brother.  Prime example...I walked around the corner the other morning before school to find this scene....
After getting himself dressed, Brody then proceeded to help Barrett get dressed!  It was so sweet that I snuck back around the corner, grabbed my camera, and snuck back for a picture!
 
Brody has also figured out how to play with Barrett to keep fights from breaking out.  The other day at the park we were playing baseball.  Whenever Brody would get Barrett out...the tears would start to flow.  Barrett does not like getting out!  Now there's a time to learn that you will get out in baseball....but when you're just playing at the park it's more about keeping the peace!  I was thinking this but hadn't talked to Brody yet when Barrett hit the ball again.  Brody took his time running after the ball (which allowed Barrett to run past 2nd base) as Brody was chasing him to 3rd, he dove and (obvious to me that it was on purpose) missed Barrett which allowed him to run home.  Brody yelled after him, "Oh man!  I missed you!  Good hit Barrett!  You made it all the way home!"  Such a little encourager!
 
Last weekend Brody was invited to a birthday party at Pump-it-up.  He was sad that Barrett wasn't getting to go and played along with me as we left the house to "run somewhere".  At the end of the party I noticed him standing really close to Ray (the birthday boy's dad) until all the other kids were gone.  Then I saw Ray bend over, Brody say something, and Ray hand him a 2nd party favor bag.  When he came over to me I asked him what he was doing with 2 party favors?  He said, "Well, I was thinking that I could share my favors with Barrett and that would make him happy, but then I saw there were going to be some extras left over so I asked Kade's dad if I could take one home for my brother and he said 'yes'!" 
 
Today after school I was putting Barrett down for a nap and Brody was just hovering by the door.  He finally came in the room and I said, "Brody, go back in the other room.  I'll be there in a minute."  Brody said, "Well...I was just wanting to give Barrett a hug and kiss before his nap."  Oh.  I said ok and then stepped back as he leaned over Barrett, gave him a hug and kiss, and said (in such a sweet voice), "Goodnight BearBear.  I love you!"
 
God knew what he was doing when he gave us Brody as the oldest child.  He is so loving and compassionate with Barrett and really thrives in his position as leader.  The neat thing is that he is setting an example for Barrett.  Since Barrett looks up to Brody and wants to imitate his every move...it is such a blessing that Christ's love is already shining through our little 5 year old!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such a beautiful post. Love it. You have 2 precious boys.
Gmommy

Ann Hastings said...

That is adorable!!!

Mom said...

That made me cry -- so sweet!

Leave It To Davis said...

Your daddy was just that kind of brother to me.

Steve said...

I witness the same thing all the time when they are playing at our house. I am so proud of both of them!

Daddy Steve