Friday, May 27, 2011

Stormy Game

Tuesday night it was Barrett's turn to go to the Ranger's game...just him and Daddy!  He was sooooo excited for alone time with Daddy!  When I asked if I could take a picture of them he ran and clung to Daddy's leg for the picture.  It's so fun to watch our boys show their admiration Mike!
Brody didn't get to go to the game with Mike, but he did get to go to the game!  Billy Rhodes had a few extra tickets and invited Daddy Steve and Brody to join him at the game.  I had a list a mile long to work on...and I did get some of it accomplished while they were gone...but my main job became weather girl!

When they left for the game, we knew that there were storms in the area, however, most of the storms had been staying north of us.  Mike texted at one point asking about the weather and said that his phone was almost dead.  At that point I told him it looked like they might get rain...but that the serious stuff (hail and tornadoes) would stay north of them.  Well....the storm grew!  Before long I'm looking at the TV watching a big storm with a large hook echo headed straight for the Ballpark at Arlington!  I texted and tried to call Mike...but his phone had already died.  Daddy Steve texted and told me that they were being herded into the tunnels underneath the stadium (Brody was super excited to tell me about this when they got home because they go to go on the FIELD! and through the dugout to get to the tunnels!!!!  He also got to see where the Rangers park their personal vehicles.)  We heard reports of golf ball to baseball size hail at the stadium and I was praying that a tornado wouldn't wipe out the stadium and take my whole family with it! 

Just as Daddy Steve texted to see if I'd heard from Mike yet...in the door walked Mike and Barrett!!!  He said that he'd been watching the sky and saw clouds starting to swirl in different directions.  He was thinking, "Should we go...or should we stay...I don't know?!??"  Just then Barrett looked up at him and said, "I'm ready to go home now!"  Mike took that as his sign to hurry home.  He ran to the car with Barrett on his shoulders and made it just before the downpour.  Thankfully he made it out of there just before he hail and strong winds...and they made it home safe and sound.

The hook echo did not produce a funnel cloud (praise the Lord!) and Daddy Steve and Brody finally made it home a little before 11 pm.  Brody's disappointment about the game being postponed was put aside because of the excitement of getting to go on the field and through the dugout.  Barrett....well...he'd had enough of sitting at the game by the 3rd inning...so he was perfectly happy to have come home when they did and extremely proud that he got to go to a Rangers game with Daddy!

1 comment:

Ann Hastings said...

That picture is adorable- it's so neat how much the boys love their daddy :)
Glad everyone was safe with all the crazy weather!