Thursday, July 10, 2008

Sounds of KS

If I close my eyes right now and just listen...I can imagine myself back at our house in KS. That may seem strange to you. You probably think that I'd be hearing traffic or sirens or other "city" noises. But I'm not! Right now I'm listening to the sound of a tractor! Our house backs up to a power easement. When the city decides it's time to mow, they send out a tractor with a huge bush hog on the back of it to mow the easement. The sound of the tractor making pass after pass by our back window makes me think of Chris. The sound of his tractor put me in a panic many a days. I'd hear his tractor, see the cloud of dust as a result of him "playing in the dirt" (as Mike called it), and rush to shut all the windows before the inside of our house was covered in the same fine dust that covered everything outside. When Brody was old enough we run to the windows or run outside to watch the big tractor drive by. Brody's at Daddy Steve & Namaw's house swimming right now. Next time that he's here when the city is mowing...I'll take him outside to watch the tractor and tell him stories about his short life in Kansas.

5 comments:

Steve and Joan said...

I am so glad we have memories that involve all our senses. It keeps our past alive for us.

Kansas is a very special place!

laura said...

i'm in kansas right now...thought of you when i got here!

Christy and Justin Vercher said...

I can totally understand where you are coming from. I often think of the peacfulness that lies in Kansas. It is a wonderful place.

Ledbetter Fam said...

Sweet memories, but you almost made me cry! I know you miss it there. I'm so glad that you have such precious memories.

JB

Teri said...

Ah the sounds of tractors!